Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Psalm 51:1-19


Salutation

... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King: Prayer to the Holy Ghost

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Psalm 51:1-19[1]

To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.

Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness.  According to the abundance of Your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions.  Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, Cleanse me from my sin: for I acknowledge my transgressions.  My sin [is] ever before me.  Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done evil in Your sight: so that You might be justified when You speak, [and] be clear when You judge.

Behold, I was born in iniquity.  In sin my mother conceived me.  Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts.  In the hidden [part] You shall make me know wisdom.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean.  Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.  Make me hear joy and gladness; [so that] the bones You have broken may rejoice.  Hide Your face from my sins, Blot out all my iniquities.  Create in me a clean heart, O God.  Renew a right spirit within me.  Cast me not away from Your presence.  Take not Your Holy Spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of Your salvation.  Uphold me [with Your] Free Spirit.

[Then] will I teach transgressors Your ways.  Sinners shall be converted to You.  Deliver me from blood, O God, God of my salvation.  My tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness.  Lord, open my lips.  My mouth shall show forth Your praise: for You desire not sacrifice: or I would give [it].  You delight not in burnt offering.

The sacrifices of God [are] a broken spirit.  A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.  Do good in Your good pleasure to Zion.  Build the walls of Jerusalem.  Then shall You be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering.  Then shall they offer bulls on Your altar.

________

If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost or share all of them.



[1] How ordinary that we find remorse for our sins and guilt after we sin.  We are not very skilled at praying or thinking ahead about the consequences of our actions, or we might not do them.  Had we started with, “Dear God, Is this a good thing for me to do,” we might not have landed in such a morass of trouble.  Alas, we did not pray before we took action; we did not seek the Holy Ghost ahead of time; so now we must seek cleansing.  David begins his first paragraph with a plea for mercy and ends with an apology.
David is not blaming his mother for his sins in the second paragraph.  He confesses that at or even before conception he is actively sinning.  In the mystery of sinfulness, we see that David was already an active participant in sin in Adam, for three thousand years or more.  It is this mystery of brokenness which must be forgiven, healed, and made right.
Now David returns to the subject of his cleansing.  “Hyssop” forces us to think of the Crucifixion.  The gifts of a clean heart, a right spirit, and the Holy Ghost, come only from Christ’s death and resurrection, and from Pentecost.  In the mystery of prophecy, David sees far into the future.  Indeed, David’s vision may be nearly blind, but he asks for things that are yet to come.
David understands that the outcome of such great forgiveness is that he shall become a voice for God, a voice that will lead many to salvation: for if an adulterer, murderer, thief, false witness, and coveter can be forgiven; then anybody can be forgiven, except those who hate forgiveness.
David concludes with the observation that the foundation of all human sacrifice to God is brokenness and contrition, without which no sacrifice, bloody, burned, or otherwise makes any sense.  In the final analysis, we have only one thing to give to God that is truly our own: namely, our own sin (teachings of Fr. Basil).

________

If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost or share all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment