Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Psalm 71:1-24


Salutation

... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King: Prayer to the Holy Ghost

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Psalm 71:1-24[i]

In You, Lord, I put my trust.  Let me never be put to confusion.  Deliver me in Your righteousness.  Cause me to escape.  Incline Your ear to me.  Save me.  Be my strong dwelling, where I may continually resort.  You have given commandment to save me: for You [are] my rock and my fortress.  Deliver me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man: for You [are] my hope, O Lord God, my trust from my youth.  By You have I been upheld from the womb.  You are He Who took me from my mother’s womb.  My praise [shall be] continually of You.

I am as a wonder to many.  But You [are] my strong refuge.  Let my mouth be filled [with] Your praise, [with] Your honor all the day.

Cast me not off in the time of old age.  Forsake me not when my strength fails: for my enemies speak against me.  Those who lay wait for my soul take advice together, saying, “God has forsaken him.  Persecute and take him: for [there is] no one to deliver [him].”

O God, be not far from me.  O my God, make haste for my help.  Let them be confounded [and] consumed who are adversaries to my soul.  Let them be covered [with] reproach and dishonor who seek my hurt.

But I will hope continually, and will yet praise You more and more.  My mouth shall show forth Your righteousness [and] Your salvation all the day: for I know not the numbers [of it].  I will go in the strength of the Lord God.  I will make mention of Your righteousness, of Yours only.

O God, You have taught me from my youth.  Until now have I declared Your wondrous works.  Now also when I am old and grey, O God, forsake me not, until I have showed Your strength to [this] generation, Your power to everyone [that] is to come.  Your righteousness also, O God, [is] very high.  Who have done great things.  O God, Who [is] like You!  [You], Who have showed me great and sore troubles, shall make me alive again, and shall bring me up again from the depths of the earth.  You shall increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side.

I will also praise You with the psaltery, Your truth, O my God.  To You will I sing with the harp, O Holy One of Israel.  My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing to You; and my soul, which You have redeemed.  My tongue also shall talk of Your righteousness all the day: for they are confounded, for they are brought to shame, that seek my hurt.




The psalmist writes about the pains and problems of aging.  The aged have one principal concern left in life: until I have showed Your strength to [this] generation,” shows that they need to pass the baton of faith to the next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment