Friday, July 18, 2014

Psalm 132:1-18


... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us (three times).

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, as it is now, was in the beginning, and ever shall be, world without end.  Amen.

Psalm 132:1-18[1]

A Song of Ascent.

Lord, remember David, [and] all his afflictions.  How he swore to the Lord, vowed to the Mighty of Jacob, “Surely I will not come to the tabernacle of my house, or go up to my bed.  I will not give sleep to my eyes, slumber to my eyelids, until I find a place for the Lord, a dwelling for the Mighty of Jacob.”

Lo, we heard of it at Ephrathah[2].  We found it in the fields of the wood.  We will go to His tabernacles.  We will worship at His footstool.  Arise, Lord, to Your rest; You, and the Ark of Your strength.

Let Your priests be clothed with righteousness.  Let Your saints shout for joy.  For Your servant David’s sake, turn not away the face of Your Christ.  The Lord has sworn [in] truth to David.  He will not turn from it.

“Of the fruit of your body I will seat on your throne.  If your children will keep My covenant, My testimony that I shall teach[3] them, their children shall also sit on your throne forever.”

For the Lord has chosen Zion.  He has desired [it] for His dwelling.  This [is] My rest forever.  Here will I dwell: for I have desired it.  I will abundantly bless her provision.  I will satisfy her poor with bread.  I will also clothe her priests with salvation.  Her saints shall shout aloud for joy.  There will I make the horn of David bud.  I have ordained a lamp for My Christ.  I will clothe His enemies with shame.  His crown shall flourish on Him.”[4]



[1] Psalm 89 also records the Davidic Covenant in great detail: there, in the context of defeat; here, in the context of consummation and victory.
David begins with the determination to build the Temple of Yahweh in Jerusalem, the place for the Shekinah to dwell.  However Yahweh rejected David’s vow, giving the privilege to Solomon.  David had to settle for a temporary tent (2 Samuel 7).
David is a prophet (Acts 2:30-31).  Here he looks ahead to the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem.  Yes, Solomon will be a type of the Glory of God, and the Shekinah will come to dwell in the First Temple.  However, Jesus is the true Shekinah, who will take His seat on the Ark, on the mercy seat, on Pentecost, 33 AD.
It is the great Pentecost event that calls forth the birth of The Church.  When is the kingdom borne?  When her King is seated on His throne, the Ark.  Thus the Apostles and all the believers are clothed with the Holy Ghost in fire, and begin to work miracles.  The earthly kingdom of David failed in misery in 586 BC.  Nevertheless, God’s promises stand forever, and God had not yet uttered His last Word on the matter.
Now David concludes with the salient points from God’s promise to him, and gives a more detailed explanation of it.
[2] Bethlehem, the place of fruitfulness, where Jesus was born
[3] God’s teaching is faithful; it never fails nor falters.  On the other hand, the audience is often wilfully deaf.
[4] If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations, please repost, share, or use any of them as you wish.  No rights are reserved.  They are designed and intended for your free participation.  They were freely received, and are freely given.  No other permission is required for their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment