Monday, July 28, 2014

Psalm 139:1-24 rA


... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us (three times).

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, as it is now, was in the beginning, and ever shall be, world without end.  Amen.

Psalm 139:1-24[1]

To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.

Lord, You have searched and known me.  You know my sitting down and my rising up.  You understand my thought from a distance.  You circle my path and my lying down, and are acquainted [with] all my ways: for [there is] not a word in my tongue, behold, Lord, You know it altogether.  You have beset me behind and before, and laid Your hand on me.[2]

 [Such] knowledge [is] too wonderful for me.  It is high.  I cannot [attain] it.  Where shall I go from Your Spirit?  Where shall I flee from Your presence?  If I ascend to heaven, You [are] there.  If I make my bed in hell, behold, You [are there].  [If] I take the wings of the morning, [and] dwell in the depths of the sea; even there shall Your hand lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me.  If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me;” even the night shall be light about me.

Yes, the darkness hides not from You.  The night shines as the day.  The darkness and the light [are] both alike [to You]: for You have possessed my reins.  You have covered me in my mother’s womb.  I will praise You: for I am fearfully, wonderfully made.  Marvelous [are] Your works.  My soul knows right well.  My substance was not hid from You, when I was made in secret, curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.  Your eyes saw my substance, yet being imperfect.  In Your book all [my members] were written, [which] in continuance were fashioned, when [as yet there was] none of them.

How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!  How great is the sum of them!  [If] I should count them, they are more in number than the sand.  When I awake, I am still with You.

Surely You will slay the wicked, O God.  Depart from me therefore, you bloody men: for they speak against You wickedly.  Your enemies take [Your name] in vain.  Do I not hate them, Lord, who hate You?  Am not I grieved with those who rise up against You?  I hate them with perfect hatred.[3]  I count them my enemies.

Search me, O God.  Know my heart.  Try me.  Know my thoughts.  See if [there is any] wicked way in me.  Lead me in the way everlasting.[4]



[1] David begins this Psalm with a personal and practical analysis of God’s omniscience.  It is easy for us to speak of a technical issue like omniscience without understanding or applying it: this Psalm prevents our doing that.  God’s knowledge is near and far at the same; it is all around; it is in our heads and speech; it hunts us from the front and from the back all at once; and it unquestionably touches us.
Now David turns his attention from God to himself; he observes that God’s omniscience is ubiquitous and inescapable: in life and in death, in space or in the abyss God is always there.  Then David discovers a wondrous fact; this is the outworking of God’s great love: there is no place in the Universe where David can be without God’s leadership and holding: these, he notes, are from the operation of the Holy Ghost.  God even makes the darkness bright, which we remember is literally true: for during the plagues on Egypt the Israelites had light when the Egyptians were overwhelmed by felt darkness; and during the Exodus the Israelites were led by a pillar of light on their night marches.  That same light of God’s Glory Presence was resident on the Ark of the Covenant and in the temporary tent, where David was accustomed to seeing Him and speaking with Him regularly.  So, David had intimate personal evidence of God’s flaming capabilities: he is not merely speaking figuratively.
David returns to his observations of God and notes that God’s flaming Glory is so powerful that it overwhelms darkness in every form.  David probably does not know about mysteries like black holes; but, he has experienced the darkness of the womb.  His growth from conception was not merely a process of his mother’s body, but also the product of God’s possession, covering, manufacture, and work.  Moreover, within the mystery of conception, lies a deeper mystery wrought in the depths of the earth: this is a reference to the fact that Adam was made from mud; so that there are aspects of David’s conception, which were already in existence from Adam’s creation.  David sees himself as being already imperfect before he was conceived.
David is overjoyed and overwhelmed by the thoughts God has stirred inside of him.  He begins to consider their quantity, when he realizes that they are a practical infinity: he cannot begin to count them.
David comes to realize that he is merely an observer in a great war between good and evil.  The wars of the Israelites were not about the divinely approved seizure of other people’s property: they were about God’s attack against Satan and demonism.  Ephesians 6 notes that “we wrestle, not against flesh and blood.”  David understands that this is a war he has been caught up in and he has to choose sides, even as an observer.
David concludes that he cannot effectively choose sides or even be an effective observer without God’s intimate probing of his heart (the brain) and his thoughts.  David understands that of all the thousands he personally killed in battle, not one of them had anything to do with his skill with bow, sling, spear, or sword: all of them were the result of God’s direction of David’s thoughts, in the war against Satan and his minions.  The outcome for David is the cleansing of all evil elements from his own person and the gift of everlasting life.
In this Psalm David has led us on a very practical discussion of omnipotence, omnipresence, and omniscience without getting trapped in technicalities.  One thing this teaches us is that theology is best taught by poetry and hymnology.  Prose is inadequate and inappropriate for the discussion and study of theology.  Think about that as you study your catechism, and ask yourself the question, “Is this study causing me to sing?”  If the answer to that question is, “No,” perhaps you should consider modifying your study habits, and include more Psalms in your study diet.    We can have an intense philosophical and theological discussion of the ubiquity of God, or we can read this Psalm prayerfully and songfully.  We will not understand ubiquity by discussing it.  Praying and singing this Psalm is what we must have.  The prayer and song of Psalm 139, and of all the Psalms is life.  The cold and naked discussion of ubiquity is neither life nor understanding; it is death.
[2] St. Patrick’s Breastplate: http://prayerfoundation.org/st_patricks_breastplate_prayer.htm and Ephesians 6.
[3] Perfect hatred seeks the repentance and conversion of the man and destruction of the demons that propel him.  The demons are cast out of the man and into the swine.  The swine are destroyed as if they were the instruments of God, the scapegoats, whose task is to destroy both the demons and the sin and brokenness, which the demons have caused.  The sins are confessed on the head of the scapegoat, and removed.  The man is healed and restored to his true humanity.  The innocent animal takes the place of guilty man.  Here, I believe, is the true reason we are not to eat swine’s flesh; it is too human like, too much like cannibalism, too much like the body and blood of Christ.
This is not an excuse for bad human behavior: many humans will perish with the demons and the swine.  However, it does show part of the reasons behind bad human behavior.
[4] If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations, please repost, share, or use any of them as you wish.  No rights are reserved.  They are designed and intended for your free participation.  They were freely received, and are freely given.  No other permission is required for their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment