Saturday, March 15, 2014

Psalm 119, Part C


... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us (three times).

Psalm 119, Part C

ל Lamed[1]

Forever, Lord, Your word is settled in heaven.  Your faithfulness [is] to all generations.  You have established the earth.  It abides.  They continue this day according to Your ordinances: for [all] are Your servants.  Unless Your law [had been] my delight, I should then have perished in my affliction.  I will never forget Your precepts: for with them You have brought me to life.  I [am] Yours.  Save me: for I have sought Your precepts.  The wicked have waited for me to destroy me.  I will consider Your testimonies.  I have seen an end of all perfection.  Your commandment [is] exceeding broad.

מ Mem[2]

Oh how I love Your law!  It [is] my meditation all the day.  You, through Your commandments, have made me wiser than my enemies: for they [are] ever with me.  I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Your testimonies [are] my meditation.  I understand more than the ancients: because I keep Your precepts.  I have refrained my feet from every evil way, so that I might keep Your word.  I have not departed from Your judgments: for You have taught me.  How sweet are Your words to my taste!  [Sweeter] than honey [is] to my mouth!  Through Your precepts, I get understanding.  Therefore, I hate every false way.

נ Nun[3]

Your word [is] a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path.  I have sworn, and I will perform, that I will keep Your righteous judgments.  I am afflicted very much.  Make me alive, Lord, according to Your word.  Accept, I beseech You, the freewill offerings of my mouth, Lord.  Teach me Your judgments.  My soul [is] continually in my hand.  Yet I forget not Your law.  The wicked have laid a snare for me.  Yet I erred not from Your precepts.  Your testimonies have I taken as a heritage forever: for they [are] the rejoicing of my heart.  I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes always, [to] the end.

ס Samech[4]

I hate [vain] thoughts.  But Your law I love.  You [are] my hiding place and my shield.  I hope in Your word.  Depart from me, you evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God.  Uphold me according to Your word, so that I may live.  Let me not be ashamed of my hope.  Hold me up, and I shall be safe.  I will have respect to Your statutes continually.  You have trodden down all those who err from Your statutes: for their deceit [is] falsehood.  You put away all the wicked of the earth [like] dross.  Therefore I love Your testimonies.  My flesh trembles for fear of You.  I am afraid of Your judgments.

ע Ain[5]

I have done judgment and justice.  Leave me not to my oppressors.  Be security for Your servant for good.  Let not the proud oppress me.  My eyes fail for Your salvation, for the word of Your righteousness.  Deal with Your servant according to Your mercy.  Teach me Your statutes.  I [am] Your servant.  Give me understanding, that I may know Your testimonies.  [It is] time for [You], Lord, to work.[6]  They have made void Your law.  Therefore I love Your commandments above gold, yes, above fine gold.  Therefore I treasure all [Your] precepts [concerning] all [things to be] right.  I hate every false way.

פ Pe[7]

Your testimonies [are] wonderful.  Therefore, my soul keeps them.  The entrance of Your words gives light.  It gives understanding to the simple.  I opened my mouth, and panted: for I longed for Your commandments.  Look on me, and be merciful to me, as You use to do to those who love Your name.  Order my steps in Your word.  Let not any iniquity have dominion over me.  Deliver me from the oppression of man.  So I will keep Your precepts.  Make Your face shine on Your servant.  Teach me Your statutes.  Rivers of waters run down my eyes, because they keep not Your law.

________

If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost or share all of them.




[1] Lamed moves beyond Resurrection to the Ascension, Glorification, and Enthronement of Christ on the throne of David (Acts 2:30-31), which is certified and sealed to The Church by and on the Day of Pentecost 33 AD.  A great number of moral issues are debated among men.  Not one of these is open for discussion in heaven.  Man’s responsibility is not to debate, but rather to get in step, “Your word is settled in heaven.”  The defiant can only be destroyed.  This heavenly reality forms the basis of the psalmist’s delight in the Law.  God’s very faithfulness prevents his annihilation (perished).  Consequently, he does not forget the Law, because he is already a dead and resurrected man.  This resurrection enables him to seek, and overthrows his wicked enemies, who in the service of Satan seek to destroy him.  The Law expresses heavenly perfection.  Its scope covers the Universe (it’s exceeding broad).
[2] Mem shows that increased love for Your Law grows from understanding its heavenly nature.  The Law is not merely another set of earthy ordinances, like the code of Hammurabi; it is specifically, Your Law.  The Law is Yahweh’s loving instrument that imparts wisdom to His child, the psalmist.  Because the psalmist meditates on the Law day and night, he is wiser than his enemies, his earthly teachers, and even the ancients.  Commitment to God’s Law constructs a building wherein each generation is able to build on previous ones.  We are wiser because we stand on our father’s shoulders.  This is indeed sweet, filled with understanding, and the power to reject falsehood.  The psalmist does not yet understand what this sweetness will do to his belly (Revelation 10:10).  Ultimately, God’s Word lights a fire in the belly that cannot be extinguished.
[3] Nun discloses that the Law (word) is a light to ward off encroaching darkness.  The day of life is spent and evening approaches rapidly.  The afflictions of age are increasing.  Resurrection (Make me alive) through the Law becomes more intense.  The psalmist does not take for granted that his offerings are acceptable.  He still needs to be taught.  All his remaining human faculties and powers are committed to the Law, “I have sworn … will perform … keep….”  He does not forget or err.  He is determined to follow God anywhere he leads, even to the grave, and beyond the grave.
[4] Samech brings a certain peacefulness.  Much of life is seen as vanity, but the Law remains supreme.  The Law shows that Yahweh is the psalmist’s hiding place: he is safe and protected in God.  He brushes off evildoers in order to rush to God and His Law.  He confesses his need for continuing help.  He realizes that despisers of the Law are being trampled down to death by death.  As the force of this life and death reality sinks in, the psalmist is not so old or so wise that he does not fear.  He trembles and is afraid.  Fear does not mean respect.  Fear means fear; he trembles.
[5] Ain pictures the Divine Judgment that is coming swiftly.  The psalmist does not wish to be left in the hands of proud oppressors: the strength to resist them is declining with age.  He cries out to Yahweh for rescue, for security, for help with failing eyesight, for mercy.  He is still God’s servant and still needs to be taught: he has not arrived at perfection.  The Law becomes more and more valuable, as if it were fine gold, better than gold; so the psalmist treasures it and hates falsehood all the more.
[6][It is] time for [You], Lord, to work.”  Yahweh’s Law time is not human time: it is not time for man to work.  Yahweh’s Law time is time for Christ to arise as our Champion, with healing in His wings (Malachi 4:2); and to make the Law come to life through His Incarnation, life, sufferings, death, Resurrection, Ascension, Glorification, and Seating until all His enemies are put under His feet (1 Corinthians 15:24-25; Hebrews 10:13).  This is not about an earthly healing ministry.  This healing does not consist of the mere healing of earthly disease, although it certainly includes that in heaven; it involves especially the treading down of the wicked and the smiting of the earth with a curse.
[7] Pe begins with praises for all the wonderful things the psalmist has learned from Yahweh, from and about His Law throughout life.  Yet, he realizes that all of these, even his thirst (panted) for the Law, are only the gifts of God’s mercy.  He still needs to have his steps ordered in God’s Word of Law.  He still needs protection from the dominion of iniquity.  He still needs to see the face of God; this is the principal thing, the beatific vision.  He still needs to be taught.  Human oppression blocks the path of love for the Law.  Yet, he is still God’s servant.  The psalmist breaks down in tears; sobbing because of the realization of how far short he comes from the Law, from the face of Yahweh.

No comments:

Post a Comment