Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Psalm 59:1-17


... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us (three times).

Psalm 59:1-17[1]

To the chief Musician, Altaschith, Michtam of David; when Saul sent, and they watched the house to kill him.

Deliver me from my enemies, O my God.  Defend me from those who rise up against me.  Deliver me from the workers of iniquity, Save me from bloody men: for, lo, they lie in wait for my soul.  The mighty are gathered against me; not [for] my transgression, nor [for] my sin, Lord.  They run and prepare themselves without [my] fault.  Awake to help me, and behold.  You therefore, O Lord God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the heathen.  Be not merciful to any wicked transgressors.  Consider.

They return at evening.  They make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city.  Lo, they belch out with their mouth.  Swords [are] in their lips: [they think] for who hears?  But You, Lord, shall laugh at them.  You shall have all the heathen in derision.  [Because of] his strength I will wait on You: for God [is] my defense.  The God of my mercy shall confront me.  God shall let me see [my desire] on my enemies.

Slay them not, lest my people forget.  Scatter them by Your power.  Bring them down, O Lord our shield.  [Condemn] the sin of their mouth [and] the words of their lips, let them even be taken in their pride: and for cursing and lying [that] they speak.  Consume [them] in fury, Consume [them], that they [may] not [be].  Let them know that God rules in Jacob to the ends of the earth.  Consider.

At evening, let them return.  Let them make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city.  Let them wander up and down for food, and resent that they are not satisfied.  But I will sing of Your power.  Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning: for You have been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble.  To You, O my strength, I will sing: for God [is] my defense, the God of my mercy.

________

If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost or share all of them.



[1] This incident occurs early, during David’s marriage to Michal (1 Samuel 19:11-18).
David pours out his prayer for deliverance, defense, and salvation.  He is innocent of any of the complaints that Saul leveled against him.  Saul failed to trust God and stand up against Goliath; even though he was the king and had experienced several victories as gifts from God.  In fear, Saul refused to be counted and face the giant: but he was perfectly willing to let a child die in his place.  David’s victory embarrassed Saul: the popular songs comparing him with David, embarrassed him even more.  Since Saul had abandoned God in unbelief, he cut himself off from God’s support: so he brooded more and more.  Before long, this obsession deteriorated into paranoia, and Saul fully believed his delusion, that David sought to usurp the kingdom.  David fled, precisely because he was not a usurper.  God had already given David the kingdom: all he had to do is return and kill Saul.  David refused this solution, because he knew it is not God’s way: so he ran and prayed.
Now David compares Saul and his minions to a pack of wild ravenous dogs.  This brings a smile to David, as he realizes that Yahweh laughs about the futility of Saul’s insane efforts.
David prays that Saul would be punished by being kept alive.  This is a perfect picture of the Lake of Fire, where evil angels and people are consumed eternally without experiencing death.
At evening, the wild dog packs come out again to prowl the city in the vain search for food.  Their hunger is for David’s death; but, David is safe because God is his merciful defense, refuge, and strength.  David is able to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment