Sunday, April 6, 2014

Forgiveness Prayer

Don’t know that I belong in your pastor’s discussion group on LinkedIn.  Here’s my answer to the LORD’s Prayer question.

ἄφες[i]

As a simple past tense, I believe that it is best translated, You forgave us our debts; as we [must] also forgive our debtors.

However, I think we can get too technical here.  The Bible is a relational love letter.  It can never be wrong to ask our best friend for forgiveness.  That is what the broken hearted person does automatically (Psalm 25; 32; 51; 85; 86; 103; 130).

I don’t think I would ever discourage a brother or sister to not ask for forgiveness.  I would not want pastorally to interfere with their tenderness of conscience and heart over a technicality.

Speaking of technicalities, I think there is only one present tense in the LORD’s prayer, at least two verbs are passive voice, so our standard translation is more than a little periphrastic.  I’m still not going to try to change the way The Church prays, even if I try to prod thinking.

http://swantec.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-lords-prayer.html
http://swantec.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-lords-prayer-notes.html

Yours in Christ,
Augie-Herb
________________

[i] ἄφες, second person singular, aorist active imperative of ἀφίημι: excuse, forgive, you forgave.  We render ἄφες literally, in the past tense, but it is possibly characteristic.  Yet, in keeping with the rest of the prayer, it seems to be more of gratitude, than of petition.

No comments:

Post a Comment