Monday, April 21, 2014

Psalm 25:1-22 rA


... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us (three times).

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, as it is now, was in the beginning, and ever shall be, world without end.  Amen.

Psalm 25:1-22[1]

[A Psalm] of David.

To You, Lord, I lift up my soul.

O my God, I trust in You.  Let me not be ashamed, Let not my enemies triumph over me.  Yes, let none that wait on You be ashamed.  Let them be ashamed who transgress without cause.

Show me Your ways, Lord.  Teach me Your paths.  Lead me in Your truth, and teach me: for You [are] the God of my salvation.  On You I wait all the day.

Remember, Lord, Your tender mercies and Your lovingkindnesses: for they [are] ever of old.  Remember not the sins of my youth, or my transgressions.  According to Your mercy remember me for Your goodness’ sake, Lord.

Good and upright [is] the Lord.  Therefore, He will teach sinners in the way.  He will guide the meek in judgment.  He will teach the meek His way.  All the paths of the Lord [are] mercy and truth to such as keep His covenant and His testimonies.

Because of Your name’s sake, Lord, pardon my iniquity: for it [is] great.

What man [is] he who fears the Lord?  He shall teach him in the way [that] He shall choose.  His soul shall dwell at ease.  His seed shall inherit the earth.  The secret of the Lord [is] with those who fear Him.  He will show them His covenant.  My eyes [are] ever to the Lord: for He shall pluck my feet from the net.

Turn to me, and have mercy on me: for I [am] desolate and afflicted.  The troubles of my heart are enlarged.  Bring me out of my distresses.  Look on my affliction and my pain.  Forgive all my sins.

Consider my enemies: for they are many.  They hate me with cruel hatred.  Keep my soul, and deliver me.  Let me not be ashamed: for I put my trust in You.  Let integrity and uprightness preserve me: for I wait on You.

Redeem Israel, O God, from all his troubles.[2]



[1] We are often ashamed before God, and we should be, because of our sin.  This is a good and helpful affliction.  Being ashamed before the world is a different matter: it brings with it the frustration that we have let God down; and the kingdom might be shamed or even fail because of our sin.  The psalmist learns that he is not that big; but God is very great: He is also merciful and good.  We learn the hard way that our sins do not rock the kingdom of God.  Three requests arise from David’s heartache: he desires to be led, he longs to find mercy, and he yearns to be taught as a sinner.
One great prayer arises.  David wants to be pardoned.
God, on the other hand, is good and upright; He teaches and guides sinners.  This is especially true today in the gift of the Holy Ghost, Who is available as a gift to all who dwell on earth.  Because of the Holy Ghost it is possible for us to keep God’s covenant and testimonies: we can even ask for and expect to receive forgiveness for our sins.  Moreover, we receive abundant “secret” blessings, and we are free to cry out to God for deliverance from all our afflictions.
David reiterates his affliction due to his own sin, and adds to them his enemies, we are not completely sure if theses enemies are, demonic, individual humans, or nations.  In any case, he sees them as nationally significant.  Everything about spiritual conflict is cosmic in significance.
God’s forgiveness triumphs over all our shame, and affliction.  Israel and The Church are redeemed “by the blood of the everlasting covenant.”
[2] If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost, share, or use any of them as you wish.
These meditations are not controlled by Creative Commons or other licenses, such as: copyright, CC, BY, SA, NC, or ND.  They are designed and intended for your free participation.  They were freely received, and are freely given.  No other permission is required for their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment