Monday, April 28, 2014

Psalm 26:1-12 rA


... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us (three times).

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, as it is now, was in the beginning, and ever shall be, world without end.  Amen.

Psalm 26:1-12[1]

[A Psalm] of David.

Judge me, Lord: for I have walked in my integrity.  I have trusted also in the Lord.  I shall not slide.  Examine me, Lord, Prove me.  Try my reins and my heart: for Your lovingkindness [is] before my eyes.  I have walked in Your truth.  I have not sat with vain persons, Nor will I go in with dissemblers.  I have hated the congregation of evil doers; [I] will not sit with the wicked.  I will wash my hands in innocence.  So will I circle Your altar, Lord: so that I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and count all Your wondrous works.

Lord, I have loved the habitation of Your house, the place where Your Glory dwells.  Gather not my soul with sinners, nor my life with bloody men, in whose hands [is] mischief, and their right hand is full of bribes.

But as for me, I will walk in my integrity.  Redeem me, and be merciful to me.  My foot stands in an even place.  In the congregations I will bless the Lord.[2]




[1] This Psalm is reminiscent of the wise man who built his house upon the rock.  Such righteousness is not built by works: for David begs to be examined and tried; it rests on God’s lovingkindness and God’s wondrous works which are found in the most holy place, the Oracle, where the Shekinah Glory of God resides and speaks to king and priest.  It is only because God calls, heals, justifies, saves and teaches that David is not counted as unrighteous; in this grace of redemption, David finds integrity and stability, the ability to bless the LORD with the people of God.  This process also separates David and us from our former lifestyle and friends, even though these sins still cling to us.  In lifting up the fallen world to God, we are separated from the vanity and evil, and do not rejoin it, even though our sins pull on us to return.  In fact, we grow to hate the fallen world and the evil and wickedness in it, as well as our own sins.  Nevertheless, by walking away from the fallen world and all its dissembling, by walking toward God in trust and worship, we gently and respectfully draw people to God.  David also looks forward to the work of Christ, his Greatest Son, Who is the Shekinah Glory of God and Who will accomplish all these things for him.
It is in the labor of loving the habitation of Yahweh’s house that the work of evangelism is truly centered.  We need to come to the place where Yahweh’s Glory dwells to be what we are, The Church.  We need to go forth from The Church to be what we are to the fallen world, The Church, the body of Christ, which the world can hear, see, and touch (Schmemann, Fr. Alexander).  We do not need other training than sincere worship.  Such a witness is what we are, not something we can simply be taught to do.  When we continue in sincere worship throughout the week, we will be able to give the right answers in due season (1 Peter 3:15; 2 Timothy 4:2).  We will not be gathered with sinners, but will be instruments of the Holy Ghost, Who draw them to Jesus.
Our task is to be consistently obedient, especially in worship.
Our task is to be consistently obedient, especially in worship.
[2] If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost, share, or use any of them as you wish.
These meditations are not controlled by Creative Commons or other licenses, such as: copyright, CC, BY, SA, NC, or ND.  They are designed and intended for your free participation.  They were freely received, and are freely given.  No other permission is required for their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment