Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Psalm 86:1-17


... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us (three times).

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, as it is now, was in the beginning, and ever shall be, world without end.  Amen.

Psalm 86:1-17[1]

A Prayer of David.

Bow down Your ear, Lord.  Hear me: for I [am] poor and needy.  Preserve my soul: for I [am] holy.  O my God, save Your servant that trusts in You.  Be merciful to me, Lord: for I cry to You daily.  Rejoice the soul of Your servant: for to You, Lord, I lift up my soul: for You, Lord, [are] good, ready to forgive, and plentiful in mercy to all those who call on You.  Give ear, Lord, to my prayer.  Attend to the voice of my supplications.

In the day of my trouble I will call on You: for You will answer me.  Among the gods[2] [there is] none like You, Lord.[3]  Nor [are there any works] like Your works.  All nations whom You have made shall come and worship before You, Lord, and shall glorify Your name: for You [are] great, and do wondrous things.  You [are] God alone.

Teach me Your way, Lord.  I will walk in Your truth.  Unite my heart to fear Your name.  I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart.  I will glorify Your name forever: for great [is] Your mercy to me.  You have delivered my soul from the lowest hell.

O God, the proud are risen against me.  The assemblies of violent [men] have sought after my soul, and have not set You before them.  But You, Lord, [are] a God full of compassion, gracious, long suffering, and plentiful in mercy and truth.

Oh turn to me.  Have mercy on me.  Give Your strength to Your servant.  Save the son of Your handmaid.  Show me a token for good: so that they who hate me may see, and be ashamed.  Because You, Lord, have helped me, and comforted me.[4]



[1] David understands a few fundamental facts about spiritual life: 1. He is “poor and needy,” poverty stricken before Yahweh.  2. He is “holy,” God has set him apart for a purpose, he is the forefather of the promised Messiah.  These are the foundation stones of David’s prayer and ours.  Since our prayers tend to be lists of things we think we need and want, we should note that such requests rarely escape from David’s mouth.  David is always conscious of his role in the spiritual warfare going on all around him, and his prayer is focused on his need to glorify God by his diligent service.
David is deeply in love with Yahweh, he wants to be taught by God, walk before God, and be united to God.  All these requests are met in Jesus Christ resurrected from the grave.  “The Son became man, so that man could become god.”  David always has his eyes on the task of calling the world (nations) to repentance.
The terror of David’s enemies evaporates upon the consideration of God’s magnificence.
David ask for a token, a verifying sign or miracle, to support his message.  Why does he ask for such a thing?  So that the wicked would be ashamed and repent and be saved.
[2] Angels or human dignitaries, leaders, and Israelite judges and prophets.
[3] Some theologians believe that monotheism developed late in Israel.  We do not see how such a view can be maintained in view of such clearly monotheistic Psalms as this, or in view of the clear monotheism of Moses.
[4] If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost, share, or use any of them as you wish.
These meditations are not controlled by Creative Commons or other licenses, such as: copyright, CC, BY, SA, NC, or ND.  They are designed and intended for your free participation.  They were freely received, and are freely given.  No other permission is required for their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment