Saturday, February 22, 2014

Psalm 118:1-29


... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us (three times).

Psalm 118:1-29[1]

Give thanks to the Lord: for [He is] good, because His mercy [is] eternal.  Let Israel now say, that His mercy [is] eternal.  Let the house of Aaron now say, that His mercy [is] eternal.  Let them now that fear the Lord say, that His mercy [is] eternal.

I called on the Lord in distress.  The Lord answered me.  [He set me] in a large place.  The Lord [is] on my side.  I will not fear.  What can man do to me?  The Lord takes my part with those who help me.  Therefore shall I see [my desire] on those who hate me.  Better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.  Better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in princes.

All nations circled about me; but in the name of the LORD, I will destroy them.  They circled about me.  Yes, they circled about me; but in the name of the Lord, I will destroy them.  They circled about me like bees.  They are quenched as the fire of thorns: for in the name of the Lord, I will destroy them.  You have thrust sore at me that I might fall; but the Lord helped me.

The Lord [is] my strength and song.  [He] is become my salvation.  The voice of rejoicing and salvation [is] in the tabernacles of the righteous.  The right hand of the Lord does valiantly.  The right hand of the Lord is exalted.  The right hand of the Lord does valiantly.

I shall not die, but live; and declare the works of the Lord.  The Lord has punished me sore; but He has not given me over to death;

Open to me the gates of righteousness.  I will go to them.  I will praise the Lord.  This [is the] gate of the Lord, which the righteous shall enter.  I will praise You: for You have heard me.  [You] are become my salvation.  The stone [which] the builders refused, is become the head of the corner.  This is the Lord’s doing.  It [is] marvelous in our eyes.  This [is] the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.[2]

Save now, I beseech You, Lord.  Lord, I beseech You, send now prosperity.  Blessed [is] He Who comes in the name of the Lord.  We have blessed you from the house of the Lord.  God [is] the Lord, Who has showed us light.  Bind the sacrifice with cords, to the horns of the altar.

You [are] my God.  I will praise You.  [You are] my God.  I will exalt You.  Give thanks to the Lord: for [He is] good, for His mercy [is] eternal.

________

If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost or share all of them.



[1] This Psalm is one of the antiphonal Psalms that are built around the theme of God’s eternal mercy; that mercy which we celebrate in the great hymn, Eternal Are Thy Mercies, Lord.  The other Psalms bearing this theme are 106, 107, and 136.  In this paragraph, the call is given, introduced by “Give” or “Let”; the response is always “His mercy [is] eternal.”
In the second paragraph, we hear the call introduced by “I”; the response is either “The Lord” or “better”.  Its main point is that in contrast to Yahweh, man’s help as well as man’s malice are virtually nothing.  Yahweh is the only reality that matters.
Now the call usually contains the word “circled”; while the response is usually introduced with the adversative, “but”, once with “for”.  The evil nations that surround Jesus on the cross, are for the most part the tribes of Israel.  The “name of the Lord” seen in the help of the Father thwarts the cry, “crucify Him,” and raises Christ up from the dead: for it is impossible that death could contain Him.
Here we may see the call “The Lord”, “The voice”, “The right” (only the first time); the responses are “is become”, “in the”, and “The right” (the last two times).  The point is that victory over sin and death only comes as the gift of God.
The outcome of eternal life is introduced by “I shall not die”, and “The Lord has punished me”.  We indicated the responses “and”, and “but” by preceding them with “;”.  These words must be seen as the prayer of Jesus.
Now the calls and their responses become: “Open” followed by “I”, “This” and “I”, “The stone” and “This is”, “This is” and “We will”.  The prophetic nature of this Psalm is now clearly revealed.  The exhortation to rejoice in the day, is not to have a good attitude about every day; but rather, to rejoice in the specific day of Christ’s resurrection, which lifts the whole world up as a joyous sacrificial gift to God the Father: our joy is in the headstone establishment of Christ, which show that the building will surely follow.  The headstone is rejected; so the building will be primarily gentile in nature, and not Israelite.
The shouts of Palm Sunday, “Hosanna” form the call, “Blessed” the response; “God” the call, and “Bind” the response.  The reference to the altar of burnt offering in the sacrifice of the crucifixion of Christ is unmistakable.
The Psalm closes with the call “You”, and the responses “I”; the call “Give thanks”, and the responses “for”.  It is the crucifixion, resurrection, ascension, and Pentecost which express the eternal mercy of this Psalm and for which we must give thanks and praise.
Forgive us for taking liberties with the antiphonal rendering.  We are sure that a skilled choir director could have done a better job: but you get the picture, and can now make it better.  We look forward to seeing better arrangements, and to hearing you sing.
[2] Psalm 122:1

No comments:

Post a Comment