Friday, February 7, 2014

Psalm 141:1-10


Salutation

... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King: Prayer to the Holy Ghost

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Psalm 141:1-10[1]

A Psalm of David.

Lord, I cry to You.  Make haste to [help] me.  Give ear to my voice, when I cry to You.  Let my prayer be set forth before You [as] incense; the lifting up of my hands [as] the evening sacrifice.

Set a watch, Lord, before my mouth.  Keep the door of my lips.  Incline not my heart to [any] evil thing, to practice wicked works with men that work iniquity.  Let me not eat of their dainties.

Let the righteous smite me.  [It is] kindness.  Let him reprove me.  [It is] excellent oil, [that] shall not break my head: for yet my prayer also [is] in the calamities [of the wicked].  When their judges are overthrown in stony places, they shall hear my words: for they are sweet.

Our bones are scattered at the grave’s mouth, as when one cuts and chops in the dirt.  My eyes [are] on You, O God the Lord.  In You is my trust.  Leave not my soul destitute.  Keep me from the snares they have laid for me, the traps of the workers of iniquity.

Let the wicked fall in their own nets, while I escape as well.

________

If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost or share all of them.



[1] This Psalm could fit against the backdrop of David’s flight, from either Saul or Absalom: but I think it fits best against Absalom.  David writes, “their judges are overthrown in stony places.”  This fits against his instruction to Hushai, “defeat the counsel of Ahithophel.”  (2 Samuel 15:34; 17:14)  In this context, David makes some amazing and profound observations and requests.
He asks that his prayer be accepted by God just as if he were standing beside the high priest at the time of the evening sacrifice in Jerusalem, on Zion, in the presence of God’s Glory.  That is how we also pray, secretly in our prayer closets.
He realizes what James will later proclaim, the tongue cannot be controlled by man.  So David asks that his prayer, and his life that flows from prayer, may not be defiled by sins of the tongue or thoughts of the heart.  Where does such speech and thought come from?  Largely because we feel compelled to answer the wicked, or imitate them.
David knows that many counselors are available to tell him what he wants to hear.  He prays instead for counselors who will tell him the truth, even if it is a slap in the face.  Truth is what he must follow, no matter the cost.  Truth must prevail.  Truth is the only thing that can save his sorry hide from this predicament.
Now David evaluates his danger.  He is on the brink of being made like the wood chips scattered on the ground, chips that fell from a woodsman’s axe.  That is what David’s bones will look like if Absalom catches him, so he prays accordingly.  What an amazing evaluation of life’s true condition.  It is only God’s protection that keeps us from Satan’s clutches.
David closes by praying, not for his own brand of justice, but for God’s brand of justice.  God’s punishment is always appropriate.  It almost always involves some form of forcing sinners to live with the consequences of their own ambushes, nets, plots, and traps, while the innocent victims are allowed to escape from the impending danger.  “Live by the sword; die by the sword”: which is to say, set an ambush to murder and rob a victim with swords, and God’s idea of justice is that your ambush will fail, and you will be murdered and robbed by ambush.  Hmmm….  I wonder how many of our business plans are really plots to ambush, deceive, and defraud others.

No comments:

Post a Comment