Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Psalm 56:1-13


... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us (three times).

Psalm 56:1-13[1]

To the chief Musician on Jonath–elem–rechokim, Michtam, of David, when the Philistines took him in Gath.[2]

Be merciful to me, O God: for man would swallow me up.  He fighting daily oppresses me.  My enemies would daily swallow [me] up: for [there are] many who fight against me, O most High.  What time I am afraid, I will trust in You.  In God I will praise His word, In God I have put my trust.  I will not fear what flesh can do to me.

Every day they wrest my words.  All their thoughts [are] against me for evil.  They gather themselves together.  They hide themselves.  They mark my steps, when they wait for my soul.  Shall they escape by iniquity?  In anger cast down the people, O God.

You count my wanderings.  Put my tears in Your bottle.  [Are they] not in Your book?  When I cry, then my enemies shall turn back.  This I know: for God [is] with me.

In God I will praise [His] word.  In the Lord I will praise [His] word.  In God I have put my trust.  I will not be afraid [of] what man can do to me.  Your vows [are] on me, O God.  I will render praises to You: for You have delivered my soul from death.  [Will You] not [deliver] my feet from falling, so that I may walk before God in the light of the living?

________

If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost or share all of them.



[1] This is David’s second attempt at an alliance with Achish, king of Gath (1 Samuel 21; 27).  This time David was more or less successful.  However, David was not completely honest with Achish, because he did not want Achish to think that he retained secret alliances with Israel (1 Samuel 27).  Nor did the other Philistine princes trust David (1 Samuel 29).  In the meantime, Saul had lapsed completely into demonism (1 Samuel 28).  This strife with the Philistine chiefs provides the means that prevented David from meeting Saul in battle, and being forced into lifting his hand against the Lord’s anointed.
David seems to have jumped from the frying pan into the fire.  Previously, he had one adversary; now, he has several.  He is compelled to be in active war every day, and he survives by clever deception.  He is afraid, but he comforts himself in the resurrection from the dead, “I will not fear what flesh can do to me.”  This phrase is repeated in a few verses.
Now David complains about the behavior of the other Philistine chiefs, who slander, suspect, stalk, and in other ways express their malice toward David.  If the Ark has moved to Ekron, David is without its immediate comfort and protection.
In spite of this, David knows that God knows his troubles: God counts each problem, collects every tear, and records all of David’s tribulations in His diary.  God’s eye is on the sparrow, and David is worth many sparrows.  David realizes through his incessant flight and weeping that the day will come when his enemies turn and run from him in defeat.
David rests his hope in the promises of God; what God has said will come to pass, “I will not be afraid [of] what man can do to me.”  The vows of God keep David alive.  He remembers that he is anointed the true and rightful king of Israel.  He is Israel’s Christ, the icon and type of Christ to come.  Even though the shadow of death hands over him, he trusts in the resurrection, “so that I may walk before God in the light of the living!”  Alive or dead he knows that there is eternal victory, eternal life.
[2] See Psalm 34.

No comments:

Post a Comment