Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Psalm 77:1-20


Salutation

... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King: Prayer to the Holy Ghost

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Psalm 77:1-20[1]

To the chief Musician, to Jeduthun, A Psalm of Asaph.

I cried to God with my voice, to God with my voice.  He gave ear to me.  In the day of my trouble, I sought the Lord.  My sore ran in the night, and ceased not.  My soul refused to be comforted.  I remembered God, and was troubled.  I complained, My spirit was overwhelmed.  Consider.

You hold my eyes waking.  I am so troubled that I cannot speak.  I have considered the days of old, the years of ancient times.  I call to remembrance my song in the night.  I commune with my own heart.  My spirit made diligent search.

Will the Lord cast off forever?  Will He be favorable no more?  Is His mercy clean gone forever?  Does [His] promise fail forever?  Has God forgotten to be gracious?  Has He in anger shut up His tender mercies?  Consider.

And I said, “This [is] my infirmity.”  [I will remember] the years of the right hand of the most High.  I will remember the works of the Lord.  Surely, I will remember Your wonders of old.  I will meditate also on all Your work, and talk of Your doings.

Your way, O God, [is] in the sanctuary.  Who [is so] great a God as [our] God?  You [are] the God Who does wonders.  You have declared Your strength among the people.  You have with [Your] arm redeemed Your people, the sons of Jacob and Joseph.  Consider.

The waters saw You, O God.  The waters saw You.  They were afraid.  The depths also were troubled.  The clouds poured out water.  The skies let out a roar.  Your arrows also went abroad.  The voice of Your thunder [was] in the heaven.  The lightning illumined the world.  The earth trembled and shook.  Your way [is] in the sea.  Your path [is] in the great waters.  Your footsteps are not known.  You led Your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

________

If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost or share all of them.



[1] Jeduthun could be a personal noun, or a musical instruction or tune.  Asaph pours out the sorrows of a bitter and broken heart.  If he is also physically ill, we do not know what malady struck him.  It may well be that his sorrow is so great it made him bodily sick.
Holding the eyes is the gesture of one who is weeping: Asaph somehow knows that God shares his sorrow.  In despair, Asaph tries to remember the past, and put the shattered pieces of his broken life back together.  This is a step we must all take when we are confronted with life crushing sorrow.  We must try to understand the historical causes to our suffering.
Now he spells out the specific questions that his grief demands.  What events in Asaph’s life could possibly call forth such questions?  The destruction of Jerusalem and the Babylonian captivity are the only events we can recall, which would bring forth such heart-wrenching agony, such screams of horror.
Asaph seeks comfort in the same place he sought understanding: he remembers the good years of God.  Again, this is an essential step for us, as well.  This is a life changing situation, but seen against the overall perspective of God’s goodness, things cannot be nearly as bad as they seem.  Why not?
The answer comes from the sanctuary, not made with hands, which cannot be destroyed.  The earthly temple, ark of the covenant, master copies of Scripture, Urim and Thummim may all be immolated, gone forever: but they were never more than copies, symbols of the heavenly realities of the same things, which can never be destroyed.  God’s omnipotent Glory still rules over all, and even yet, redeems.
Now Asaph is able to remember the Exodus through his tears.  He understands in the greatness of the mystery that a new Exodus, with a new Moses, and a new Aaron are coming.  He knows, from the character of God, that the story isn’t over yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment