Sunday, February 9, 2014

Psalm 16:1-11


Salutation

... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King: Prayer to the Holy Ghost

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Psalm 16:1-11[1]

A Michtam of David.

Preserve me, O God: for in You I put my trust.

[My soul], you have said to the Lord, “You [are] my Lord.  My goodness [extends] not to You: [but] to the saints that [are] in the earth, and [to] the excellent, in whom [is] all my delight.”

Their sorrows shall be multiplied [that] hasten [after] another [god].  Their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names to my lips.

The Lord [is] the portion of my inheritance and of my cup.  You maintain my lot.  The lines are fallen to me in pleasant [places].  Yes, I have a good heritage.

I will bless the Lord, Who has advised me.  My reins also instruct me in the night seasons.  I have set the Lord always before me.  Because [He is] at my right hand, I shall not be moved.

Therefore my heart is glad, My glory rejoices.  My flesh also shall rest in hope: for You will not leave My soul in hell.  Nor will You suffer Your Holy One see corruption.  You will show me the path of life.  In Your presence [is] fullness of joy.  At Your right hand [there are] pleasures forever.

________

If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost or share all of them.



[1] We do not know exactly what a Michtam is.  The Psalm is attributed to the author David and that fixes its date around 1,000 BC.  David begins with a plea for God’s preserving power.  How much our breath, second by second depends on the mercy of God, without which we die in a heartbeat.  Since death is only a breath away, what sort of lives should we then live?  Fearless lives in the loving service and worship of God.  Since we are already as good as dead, nothing confined to this earth matters any longer.  The only things that matter on earth are the realities of earth seen in their true light through the eyes of heaven: namely, faith.
With these realities in mind, David addresses God, then begins with confession.  David is striving with all his human strength to a good man; but, the best that he has to offer, falls far short of God’s goodness, and the goodness that God requires of us.  Far, far in the distance, David has a dim idea of the coming goodness of Jesus, Whose excellence meets all of David’s needs, and ours, as well.  This is David’s delight, and ours.
In this light, idolatry is simply sad, filled with sorrow.  Yet, at the early stages of David’s reign, there were plenty of folks who wanted to mix the worship of Yahweh with every other abomination imaginable.  To a great extent, David’s great love of Yahweh saw the defeat of these abominations.  Yet, not long after David’s repose these demonic evils came roaring back.  Yes, the Israelites were worshipers of idolatrous abominations and demons: and so, frequently, are we.
David’s only heritage is Yahweh. Himself.  David mentions the cup.  This motif cannot be accidental.
David blesses: that is, gives thanks and praise to God for His great goodness.  God is his advisor.  God is his rock solid foundation.  The reins or kidneys, like the heart, are a great seat of emotions in Hebrew idiom.  A blow to the kidneys causes extreme pain and makes the knees buckle.  David experiences great anguish in his nightly prayers over the conflict over idolatry in his kingdom.  That some of his subjects are dying, trapped in demonism, brings him to his knees with tears: his prayer is marked with grief.  Yahweh is his only hope, his only fortress in maintaining courage and resolve.
Bolstered by this power, David’s rational heart, the seat of thought in Hebrew idiom, is able to overcome the crucifying agony of his emotions.  He is enabled to find joy and hope through his tears.  He looks into the future dimly, to see Jesus, Who will conquer hell, Who will “trample death, by death, Who will return to live without being tainted by the stench of the tomb.  David rejoices in the fullness and pleasures of the life to come: not a life of debauchery with foolish virgins; a life gazing into the beautiful face of God, and singing with the angels and saints forevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment