Friday, February 14, 2014

Psalm 142:1-7


Salutation

... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King: Prayer to the Holy Ghost

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Psalm 142:1-7[1]

Maschil of David; A Prayer when he was in the cave.

I cried to the Lord with my voice.  With my voice to the Lord I made my supplication.  I poured out my complaint before Him.  I showed before Him my trouble.

When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then You knew my path.  In the way where I walked have they secretly laid a snare for me.

I looked on [my] right hand, and beheld, [there was] no man who would know me.  Refuge failed me.  No man cared for my soul.  I cried to You, Lord.  I said, “You [are] my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.

Attend to my cry: for I am brought very low.  Deliver me from my persecutors: for they are stronger than I.  Bring my soul from prison, so that I may praise Your name.”  The righteous shall circle about me: for You shall deal bountifully with me.

________

If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost or share all of them.



[1] David is at Adullam (1 Samuel 22:1; 2 Samuel 23:13; 1 Chronicles 11:15), or his prayer analyzes the lessons of Adullam.
In the first paragraph David announces his prayer formally: possibly as a Todah.  It was probably delivered aloud and officially, in public.  It is a celebration of victory over his enemies who plagued him when he was camped at Adullam: either Saul, or later the Philistines.
The report of the content of the prayer follows: short, sweet, to the point.  Lord,  I’m over my head.  You know the situation.  I can’t leave Adullam without being ambushed.  How appropriate for modern life.  Lord,  I’m over my head.  You know the situation.  I can’t leave the house, go to work, church, or the grocery without being ambushed.  I can’t even get a drink from the town well.
David surveys the situation looking for a helping hand, and outside of his little band can’t find anybody willing or strong enough to drive off his enemy.  In his desperation he turns to God for help.  David is being brutally honest here; he pulls no punches; he spares himself no dignity.  When all else fails, we turn to God.  Is David suggesting that he and we would be better off, had we turned to God to begin with: this is very likely the case, in that, David, the man of prayer, is teaching his nation, how and why to pray.  “Lord,  Teach us to pray.”
David finishes his prayer in the present tense.  The lessons learned at Adullam have eternal applications.  Wherever David is, probably at Jerusalem now, in the temple, he encounters discouraging depressing time; he still has powerful persecutors; he still feels trapped, as he was at Adullam.  He does not ask for deliverance for personal benefit, but so that he may worship Yahweh.  His life is completely fulfilled in the worship of God, with the congregation worshipping around him.  This is the bounty, the love of his life.  Is that the way we feel about going to church?

No comments:

Post a Comment