Monday, February 3, 2014

Psalm 31:1-24


Salutation

... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.  Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us.  Amen.  Glory to You, our God, Glory to You.

O Heavenly King: Prayer to the Holy Ghost

O Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, You are everywhere and fill all things, Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life: come and abide in us, and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.

Psalm 31:1-24[1]

To the Chief Musician, A Psalm of David.

In You, Lord, I put my trust.  Let me never be ashamed.  Deliver me in Your righteousness.  Bow down Your ear to me.  Deliver me speedily.  Be my strong rock, for a house of defense to save me: for You [are] my rock and my fortress.  Therefore, for Your name’s sake lead me, and guide me.  Pull me from the net that they have laid secretly for me: for You [are] my strength.  Into Your hands I commit My spirit.  You have redeemed me, O Lord God of truth.

I have hated those who regard lying vanities.  I trust in the Lord.  I will be glad and rejoice in Your mercy: for You have considered my trouble.  You have known my soul in adversity; and have not shut me up to the hand of the enemy.  You have set my feet in a large room.

Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am in trouble.  My eye is consumed with grief, [yes], my soul and my belly: for my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing.  My strength fails because of my iniquity, My bones are consumed.  I was a reproach among all my enemies, but especially among my neighbors, and a fear to my acquaintance.  Those who saw me without, fled from me.  I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind.  I am like a broken vessel: for I have heard the slander of many.  Fear [was] on every side: while they took counsel together against me, They devised to take away my life.

But I trusted in You, Lord.  I said, “You [are] my God.”  My times [are] in Your hand.  Deliver me from the hand of my enemies, from those who persecute me.  Make Your face shine on Your servant.  Save me for Your mercies’ sake.  Let me not be ashamed, Lord: for I have called on You.  Let the wicked be ashamed, Let them be silent in the grave.  Let the lying lips be put to silence, which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous.

How great [is] Your goodness, which You have laid up for those who fear You, [which] You have wrought for those who trust in You before the sons of men!  You shall hide them in the secret of Your presence from the pride of man.  You shall keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues.

Blessed [be] the Lord: for He has showed me His marvelous kindness in a strong city: for I said in my haste, “I am cut off from before Your eyes.”  Nevertheless, You heard the voice of my supplications when I cried to You.

Love the Lord, all His saints.  The Lord preserves the faithful, and plentifully rewards the proud doer.  Be of good courage, He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the Lord.

________

If you have been blessed or helped by any of these meditations in Psalms, please repost or share all of them.




[1] David examines the proper object of faith, and notes that only God is to be trusted.  David is not using the word, trust, the way we use it today, he is not speaking about doubting other’s words, or suspecting every act.  David is speaking about the fact that God is the concrete reality in his life.  We tend to think of God as, “out there somewhere.”  For David, God is his constant companion; the first one consulted, and usually the last, on any issue.  Prayer was not something David did; it was his life.  This is what is different about David.  The Israelites often forgot to pray, and consequently, were always in hot water: kind of like us.  David rarely forgot to pray, as the Psalms attest.
As a result, David relied on God to get him out of trouble: we remember that David had more trouble than most.  God was worthy of that trust and rewarded David with the gift of freedom among mankind.
Now David is in a fresh trouble.  We do not know exactly what this particular trouble is.  Perhaps David is grieving the animosity of the Philistines (1 Samuel 27), about the time when Samuel died.  Perhaps David is grieving because Joab murdered Abner (2 Samuel 3); this prevented reconciliation between the Israel and Judah tribes, and resulted in seven years of strife.  Perhaps David is grieving over Absalom’s revolt (2 Samuel 15-17)
In spite of trouble, David trusts in God.  He knows that His status in life depends on God’s timing, not his own effort.
Accordingly, David orders his prayer aright, he waits for God’s action, rather than taking matters in his own hands.  How often we err when we do things our way.  How often we sin with the words, “I’m going to fix this.  I’m going to do something about it.”  Instead, David prays for God’s blessing: especially in putting the wicked to shame, and the liars to silence.
God is good, and that goodness is what protects from human pride and strife.  Self-willed human vengeance offers no protection whatsoever from such pride and strife.
David notes that he has found refuge in a strong city.  Perhaps he remembers that Saul stopped chasing him when he was with Achish at Gath.
Finally, David has an exhortation for us, trust God to “strengthen your heart.”  If the issue is zeal for God and His kingdom, we must fight, as with David and Goliath.  If the issue is protection of the weak and helpless, we must fight.  If the issue is saving our own necks, our own skins, we stand down.  In every case we remain constant in prayer, because we cannot find the right direction without God’s guiding hand.  The Holy Ghost will guide us into all truth, this is concrete reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment